Custom block

You can add any content to this block in theme admin panel and show it at the left.

 

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed velit urna, elementum at dignissim varius, euismod a elit. Praesent ornare metus eget metus commodo rhoncus.

 

Read more

My Cart - $0.00

You have no items in your shopping cart.

 
We Couldn’t stop at just flies. now carrying everything but the fish!
Return to Previous Page
Subscribe to RSS Feed

Fly and Flies

Flies are used for fly-fishing for trout. There are thousands upon thousands of different types of flies, but there are three main categories that flies fall into. The first category of flies is dry flies. These are any type of flies that will float on the surface of the water. Names like Parachute Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, and Griffith’s Gnats, are a few of the most recognized dry flies. Most anglers really enjoy fly-fishing with these flies, as it provides a very visual way to see the trout eat the fly. There are many different varieties of dry flies, but most are designed to mimic mayflies, caddisflies, and stoneflies. However, there are plenty of others that are designed to mimic terrestrials such as grasshoppers, beetles and ants. Although fishing with these types of flies can be very visual and exciting, it is however, sometimes not the most practical. 80% of a trout’s diet is consumed under the water, leaving trout to feed on the surface only 20% of the time. This is why nymph fishing is usually most effective. Nymphs, or flies that are fished below the surface of the water, are the begging stages of how an adult fly is formed. Typically, nymphs are found in and around the rocks, on the bottom of a stream, lake, or river. Copper Johns, Pheasant Tails, and Hares Ears are very popular nymph patterns. Most of the time, these types of flies will be tied with weight added to them, in order to keep the flies near the bottom. The most common of these are bead headed nymphs. Because these flies are below the surface of the water, and you cannot see when a trout has eaten them, most fly anglers will choose to fish them with a strike indicator, or the equivalent of a bobber if you are familiar with conventional fishing. Basically, it is a float of some sort of variety, which is designed to go under the water or twitch after a fish has eaten your flies. When this happens, you set the hook, and start fighting the fish. The third category of flies is called streamers. These are flies such as woolly buggers and muddler minnows that are designed to represent leeches, baitfish, and crayfish. These flies are usually cast across the water and either stripped back in, or simply allowed to swing in the current, representing the way that a leech or baitfish would swim. Usually when trout eat these types of flies, it is in a very aggressive manor, resulting in a strike that can be felt throughout the entire fly rod. Flies are like works of art, and sometimes beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Don’t ever be afraid to fish the ugliest fly in your fly box, you might be surprised at just how many fish may like it!

There are no products matching the selection.